GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR
THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST
OBJECTIVES | FOUNDATION | ACTIVITIES | INVOLVEMENT
WHAT THE PROGRAM AGAINST PORNOGRAPHY IS FOR
The "Program On Pornography" is one of three branches of STOP operations. We at STOP realize that it is not enough for us to state what we are protesting "against" (e.g. anti-obscenity, anti-smut, etc.). Our fight against pornography must, in the first place, be for some good. We should then, with equal force declare what we are for. The position opposing all forms of obscenity must be balanced by an affirmation favoring precisely that which obscenity destroys.
Obscenity, one expression of which is pornography, destroys in a two-fold manner. First, it besmirches the dignity of individuals. Second, it destabilizes family life. This is what STOP's campaign against pornography is for: human dignity and family stability.
In stating this, we imply our favor of all the moral virtues (in successive lines of defense), and above all, the virtue of charity, which must inevitably begin in individuals -- young and old alike -- as members of their respective families.
THE STARTING POINT OF THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST PORNOGRAPHY
A "principle" is a fundamental cause or truth from which other causes and truths proceed. Principles comprise the beginning or starting point of any science, whether pure or applied. The "Principles Against Pornography" comprises the body of causes and truths on which the applied campaign is based. These principles define terms and concepts, and relate these to one another.
Further study and elaboration of these ideas will show how they are linked with the realities they represent. These principles ultimately answer WHY pornography is objectively wrong. Clarity of understanding of principles is the key to success in any applied campaign.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT PORNOGRAPHY
The main thrusts of the campaign shall be in two directions, namely:
(A) to stop the production and spread of pornographic materials, and
(B) to continuously disseminate the reasons why pornography is essentially wrong.
The campaign may be divided according to the following activity categories or "tasks":(1) MONITORING. This calls for keeping watch over all the possible sources and channels of pornography, constantly evaluating and rating of all forms of mass media and entertainment (both legal and illegal), and filing or publishing of reports.
(2) PERSONAL PERSUASION. This involves a person-to-person explanation -- spoken or written -- of why pornography is wrong. Personal persuasion must be a continuous concern among all members and sympathizers of the campaign. This will usually be done among relatives, friends, colleagues, media people, law enforcers, persons in authority, as well as among the very purveyors of pornography themselves.
(3) PARA-LEGAL ACTION. This includes all activities geared to influencing public opinion on a large scale. All legitimate methods of mass dissemination may be applied ? from letters to the editors, articles, essays, ads, to musical/video/ stage/film/computer and other such mass media productions. Speeches, formal talks, conferences and all forms of peaceful public manifestations are also included here.
(4) LEGAL ACTION. This means calling for police action for the surveillance, search, seizure, or arrest of purveyors. This includes the filing of formal charges in court against such violators, and carrying the cases through until conviction. Finally, this would also include lobbying for more effective legislation concerning obscenity and public decency.
(5) EDUCATION. The value of educational activities cannot be overemphasized, because the continuance of the campaign depends on this means of growth in firmness and number. Every registered member will be entitled to the basic orientation and knowledges relevant to the campaign, and thereafter will be considered as a resource person. Each one must acquire the capacity to convey to his or her peers the values and virtues we are promoting. Short courses, seminars, panel discussions, informal get-togethers, and the like should be held regularly and frequently. These activities will be open to all, but must be designed for homogeneous groups. Our effectiveness in all the other activity categories will depend upon how well this aspect of the campaign is carried out.
(6) MEMBERSHIP. This involves the processing of applications and lists of persons contacted in the course of our activities. Such persons may eventually be enlisted in the campaign. Recruitment is important.
(7) REHABILITATION. This involves counseling and social work to help both victims and purveyors to rectify their attitudes and lifestyles: helping victims to seek more constructive activities and pastimes consistent with the responsibilities of their positions in life; and helping purveyors to find decent alternative sources of income.
For purposes of flexibility, activities are best conducted on a modular or "project" basis, each project with concrete goals and proper organization, resources, and documentation.
WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE CAMPAIGN
The most important factor for serious involvement is conviction. Do you know why pornography is wrong? How convinced are you of this? Are you somewhat overwhelmed and discouraged by the suggestion that there is nothing that can be done about pornography? If you think you lack the conviction, then your campaign has to begin with a review of your own attitudes. Restudy the moral principles. Sign up for the short series of weekly talks.
If you are already engaged in any kind of action against pornography, STOP would like to know and learn from what you have accomplished so far. STOP is developing notes of experience in drives against pornography.
These notes can be made available to bona fide members and sympathetic organizations. If you are eager to combat pornography, and would like to know how to do so systematically, you may sign up for briefings on the various tasks previously explained. In fact, with a bit of imagination, you can already start taking personal initiatives in activity categories 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.
Strengthen that resolution to fight ? NOW. If you are a parent, fight for your spouse and children. If you are not married, fight for your future family. Study the "Principles Against Pornography".
Make a pledge -- TO DECENCY.
STOP PORNOGRAPHY NOW !!!
n How? WITH YOUR VOICE, BALLPEN, TYPEWRITER, COMPUTER, AND FRIENDS.
n The solution lies in the LAW and in
VIGOROUS ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAW.
n There are laws against obscenity which are on the side of the people, not on the side of the pornographer. The courts require that in determining whether a material is obscene or not, COMMUNITY STANDARDS must be applied. But a judge cannot know what those standards are if we, the community, do not express them. THE SOLUTION IS AN INFORMED AND VOCAL COMMUNITY.
MOVIE & TELEVISION REVIEW & CLASSIFICATION BOARD|
Chairperson: Armida Siguion-Reyna
1373 E. Rodriguez Ave., Quezon City
Tels. 721-3522 Fax 725-9151
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES|
House Speaker: Rep. Manuel Villar
Batasan Hills, Quezon City
Tel. 931-5001 (trunk line)
STOP TRAFFICKING OF PILIPINOS FOUNDATION INC.|
Executive Director: Pochola Villanueva
Caritas Manila Compound
2002 Jesus St., Pandacan, Manila
Tel. 563-9301 to 9302
SENATE OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES|
Senate President: Sen. Blas Ople
GSIS Building, Financial Center
Roxas Blvd., Pasay City
Tel. 552-6601 (trunk line)
MEN AGAINST PORNOGRAPHY|
P.O. Box 150786
Brooklyn, NY 11215-0786, U.S.A.
CBCP PASTORAL: "Blessed are the pure of heart"
Reposted by SIMBAHAYAN SA MAYNILA|